Print this page

State Authorization: Online and Distance Education

Labouré College of Healthcare is a member of SARA which is an acronym for the State Authorization Reciprocity Agreement, which is an interstate agreement that allows colleges and universities located in a SARA member state to offer online classes in other SARA member states without needing to obtain authorization to do so from each state individually. SARA consists of a national network of member states, districts, and territories that agree to comply with the rules, policies, and procedures set forth by the National Council for State Authorization Reciprocity Agreements (NC-SARA).


Labouré College of Healthcare is obligated to comply with other states’ laws regarding the delivery of distance education to residents of other states. Distance education includes 100% online programs, online programs that require some on-the-ground experience, degree and certificate programs, and non-credit programs and/or courses that will be delivered to students residing outside the state of Massachusetts. State laws regarding distance education vary state-by-state, and even program-by-program within a state.


Residency – Course and program availability varies by state. Admission into a program is granted at the time of initial acceptance into the program and is dependent on program availability in the state where the student is physically located at the time of admission. If a student moves to a different state after admission to the program, continuation within the program will depend on the availability of the program within the new state where the student is physically present. It is the student’s responsibility to notify the College of a change in physical presence. Whether military personnel stationed outside the state of Massachusetts may enroll or continue in a Labouré College of Healthcare distance education program, or not, is based on where military personnel are stationed.


Licensure – State authorization has no effect on state professional licensing requirements. Students considering an academic program that leads to a professional license in their state should first seek guidance from the appropriate licensing agency in that state BEFORE beginning the academic program located outside the state. It is the student's responsibility to contact the appropriate licensing board in their home state to confirm whether a Labouré College of Healthcare program will meet the requirements for licensure in that state. Labouré College of Healthcare cannot confirm whether the course or program meets requirements for professional licensure in the student’s state. For further information, contact the appropriate state licensing board listed on the Labouré College of Healthcare website at


Complaint Resolution: Online Programs

Labouré College of Healthcare is committed to integrating institutional objectives in innovative ways to demonstrate excellence in all online programs. The College greatly values students’ experiences and urges all students to adhere to the Student Code of Conduct. Please refer to the section in the Student Rights and Responsibilities Handbook for the Code of Conduct as well as detailed information regarding student expectations, rights, and student complaint/student grievance procedures.


When an issue is brought to the College’s attention, the College will take appropriate action to seek resolution. Students are encouraged to pursue Labouré College of Healthcare’s internal student complaint/student grievance procedures for any complaints before contacting external sources for resolution. Often, it is the case that communication with the course instructor is the most direct route to resolving issues. If an issue cannot be resolved at that level, a student should contact the Division Chair or Dean for guidance. While attending Labouré College of Healthcare, students residing outside of Massachusetts who desire to resolve a grievance should always follow the College’s student complaint/student grievance procedure outlined in this Catalog and Student Handbook. If an issue cannot be resolved, non-resident students in an online program may file a complaint with the Massachusetts Department of Higher Education online at


In addition, an Online Student Complaint Form can be downloaded here, and/or contact Dr. Altobello, Vice President of Academic and Student Affairs.


For Massachusetts residents who wish to file a complaint with the Massachusetts Department of Higher Education, please use the following address:


Students who wish to follow up with their home state can find a list of state contacts online at In addition, a listing of states can be found on Labouré's website at